MENDON FIRE DISTRICT MINUTES
February 14, 2019

Chairman R. Wilsey called the meeting to order at 19:00 Hrs.

Attending: Art Morrell, Dan Considine, S.Shuler, Ryan Wilsey, Secretary John McGinnis, William Fletcher, Treasurer Heidi Baumer, Peter Kester, David Ackerman, K.McGinnis, A.Martin

Late: J. Shipe

Absent: None

Public Comment:
-No public comment.

New Member Introduction: Jared Brush was introduced to the Mendon Fire District.

Calendar and Request for Meeting Room:
-3/16/2019 request by R.Joint for a party. Motion to approve by D.Considine, 2nd by S.Shuler. Approved 4-0. 4/16/2019 Chiefs’Dinner by J.Shipe. Motion to approve by S.Shuler, 2nd by D.Considine. Approved 4-0.

Board of Directors:
-K. McGinnis, Auxiliary President, presented 3 ideas for kitchen improvements: (1) A wall mounted fan above the freezer to promote improved air circulation, (2)Something sturdier than the current plastic panel that is in front of the triple sink, (3) Extension of the work space from the triple sink to the dishwasher. She pointed out that this was something J.Shipe has suggested as a more efficient way to prepare and move dishes from the sink to the dishwasher. Pictures of the changes accompanied the proposals. The Board unanimously agreed to assign these proposed changes to Buildings and Grounds for implementation.

Chiefs Report:
-YTD Calls: 44 Apparatus Damage: 0 Injuries: 0
-2 Valves on the tanker were repaired.
-Purchases:
-EMS supplies, $922.25
-Helmet Lights, $654.90
-Turnout Gear (5 sets), $15,355.55
-Boots, $2,934.96
-Motion to approve these purchases by D.Considine, 2nd by A. Morrell.
Motion approved 5-0.

-The chief reported that the radio switchover will be happening by 1/30/2020 and he detailed a preliminary plan with estimated costs. The switchover will utilize “middle of the road” fire service radios and the estimated cost will be $115,031.16 before the switchover. The board requested three radio quotes to be obtained in time to be ready for a permissive referendum after the 3/19/2019 regular meeting.
The chief also brought to the attention of the Board that eventually new P25 compliant pagers will need to be purchased. Available from Unification Co. at a cost of $525-$575 each.
-The board expressed the intention to cancel the prior approval for radio programming costing $400.00.

Minutes:
-The secretary reported that the minutes are unavailable.

Treasurers Report:
-The meeting with the auditors is proceeding without incident. They have made a recommendation to condense the number of line items that we use.

Correspondence:
-Nothing to report.

Committee reports:
Building & Grounds:
-The wash bay will be unavailable for 4-6 weeks.
-There needs to be progress on the landscaping RFP.
-D.Considine will make an appointment ASAP to move the exercise equipment to the basement.

Apparatus:
-Drain problems with the tanker are currently being investigated.
-Hose testing will be done this summer.
-The hose bed divider on 364 is not fixed correctly and also, the windshield is leaking again.
-The issue of whether or not to keep the Interceptor vehicle was discussed. Two board members in December had requested a cost and needs assessment for this vehicle. Chief Kester provided information about current value, operating costs and perceived needs and benefits to the department. The Board agreed to keep this vehicle and recognized that the rules and regulations will need to be changed to accommodate a second vehicle.

Information and Technology:
-Cameras are almost up and running.
-Website is operational.

Personnel:
-Dales Report: The Board needs to get a quote for repairing the hallway
Door and wall that was damaged.
-Motion to approve Dale’s report by D.Considine, 2nd by S.Shuler.
Approved 5-0.
-Leadership: D.Considine will investigate any potential savings in
Changing payroll processors.
-Health and Wellness: D.Considine made a motion to allow members of
The HFFD and the Mendon Highway Dept. to use the fitness
Facilities (subject to meeting Mendon Fire District requirements).
2nd by A.Morrell. Motion approved 5-0.

Capital Projects/Special Projects:
-Kitchen Upgrades will be classified a special project.

Old Business:
-The Board recognizes that new chairs are needed for the conference room. No action was taken.

New Business:
-Nothing to report.

Attachments:
-The following hard copy items are attached to the District hard copy of the minutes:
1)Dale’s Report
2)Purchase Request Tracking form.
3)January 2019 Budget Update.
4)Auxiliary request and pictures of kitchen upgrades.

Adjournment: A motion to adjourn was made by R.Wilsey, 2nd by D.Considine at 20:35 Hrs. Approved Unanimously 5-0, meeting adjourned.

Respectfully Submitted,
John M. McGinnis
Secretary
Mendon Fire District

*The intent of public comment time is to allow a non-commission member to comment on any topic. The commenter may not receive an answer to their question or a response to their comment, as the board may need to research a subject or confer with counsel on the topic prior to giving a response. The time allotted for each person commenting is limited to three (3) minutes.

2019-09-10T11:29:14-05:00